Founded on March 10, 1543, La Antigua Guatemala was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1979. This beautiful and magical colonial city has almost five hundred years of history, with a privileged climate and an exceptional view of the Fire and Acatenango volcanoes.
La Antigua was built in the Panchoy Valley, and named the third seat of the capital of Guatemala. In this city, time stopped and was trapped in the thick walls of its temples, monasteries and colonial houses. This colorful town still has restored buildings from the 16th century, and can be walked on foot through its cobbled streets.
From Cerro de la Cruz, located northeast of the city, La Antigua Guatemala looks impressive. Also, the emblematic Water Volcano, which has witnessed the glories and falls of the population, is admirable. The beauty of this city lies in each of its details. Those who visit it are amazed by its historical attractions, and ancient temples and monasteries that are part of its legacy.
After having experienced several earthquakes, has remained detained in time and is admired for its cobblestone streets, colonial houses, civil monuments, legends and traditions.
The main tourist attractions of La Antigua are the Palace of the General Captains, the Convent and Arch of Santa Catalina, the Plaza Mayor, the Jade Museum, the Antigua Guatemala Cathedral, the Museum of the University of San Carlos, the Holy Route of Brother Pedro, among others. The city is also rich in handicrafts such as traditional weavings, ceramics, silver and gold products, ceramics, metallic products, typical sweets and gastronomy.
To get to La Antigua Guatemala from Guatemala City, take the CA-1 road, going through the Roosevelt Causeway, and then by San Lucas Sacatepéquez. Antigua is located 40 kilometers from the center of the capital city.